Coupon Crazy!


It’s true. I’m a couponer. Just as I once thought I’d never consider driving a mini-van. I swore I would NOT end up one of those crazy mothers with 3 kids in tow in a grocery store with a coupon pack larger than a duffel bag, but well, here I am. And I LOVE it! The days of paying for toiletries and pantry staples are LONG GONE and I couldn’t be happier.

Those of you who think you’re too busy, well, maybe you are. But I promise you, it’s worth the time and, of course, the money. Yes, I have 2 small children at home, yes my husband works 12 hours a day, and yes, I have a full-time job. I still coupon, and I am still sane. Not only that, I spend about 60% less on groceries and Target stuff than I did before but the best part is, it’s FUN!
Last year this time, we were spending about $220/week at our Target Supercenter . Now, we hardly ever spend over $80. And LOTS of weeks its less than $50.
How do you start? I’ll list the steps I took and I’ll list a few links that helped me get started.

1. First, you’re going to have to start collecting coupons. Here’s a link that will help you acquire a nice stash of coupons, but if you want to go oldschool, and just use ONE set of coupons from your Sunday paper, that will work too. Get yourself a coupon sorter, start getting the Sunday paper, and KEEP YOUR OLD INSERTS. (I put my inserts in a file folder with 12 dividers – one for each month.)

2. Second, change the way you shop. Buy things at their rock bottom prices, STOCK UP, and USE COUPONS! Learn more about rock bottom pricing and couponing 101 here.

3. Third, go the drugstore route. Some of the best purchases I make are at CVS and Walgreens. I no longer pay for razors, toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, lotion, aspirin, mouthwash, or panty liners. These items are all FREE. This week at CVS, the free items include sunscreen and Alka seltzer. Last week it was Band-Aids, tampons, nail polish, Clearasil and toothpaste. Every week there’s something free and though you might not need toothpaste right now, you’ll need it eventually, so you might as well stock up while it’s FREE! Check MSM for your weekly list of FREE stuff!

4. Lastly, enjoy what you do! Maybe if we were dirt poor and this were the only way to eat it wouldn’t be fun. OR maybe if I hated doing it and I only did it so I could get my nagging husband off my back for spending so much on groceries, it wouldn’t be worth it. But I LOVE couponing. It makes me feel like a smarter shopper, a better wife, and certainly a better Mommy. I’m teaching my kids about the value of the items we use or consume every day and besides that, it’s fun, it’s FREE and it’s frugal!

So if you still say you’re too busy or you don’t have time to do it, then don’t. But, like Dave says, you probably don’t have time NOT to.

I’d love to hear from those of you who are just starting out, and I’d be happy to answer questions if you’re mid-stride. Couponing takes some getting used to but once you catch on, it takes hardly any extra time, and the value you get in return is awesome.
Now go out, and get yourself some FREE STUFF!

About Us

www.LaBump.com was created by 3 sisters with the help of our mother, better known as “Amma” to all of our little ones. We believe that every woman should have access to fabulous maternity clothing and beautiful, gently used children’s clothing and gear. We spent years sending the same old box o’ maternity clothes back and forth to each other in an effort to share cute maternity wear among sisters. Finally, we concluded that there must be more women out there like us, looking for maternity clothing and gently used toys and items for their little ones. We started this site as a way to expand our own network and hopefully help other mommies do the same. As every smart mommy knows, one of the ultimate forms of recycling is recirculating gently used items for children and mothers. We have put a new spin on typical hand me down clothing by creating a network of women in your city who can buy sell and trade maternity clothing and accessories and gently used clothing, toys, and gear for our little ones.